Sony will release a new update for the PlayStation 3 tomorrow. The firmware, labeled v4.20, improves console performance with a number of small changes.
Once the upgrade is applied, users will find that the performance of the Wireless Stereo Headset has been enhanced. First, virtual surround sound functionality has been enabled for Blu-ray/DVD watching. There will also be five levels available for microphone “sidetone” audio used during multiplayer matches. This feedback, which can be disabled completely, allows you to hear your own voice from the accessory.
PlayStation 3′s new firmware will additionally provide an option for Video/TV/Music/Photo applications as well as Game/Other Features, giving you the ability to set the amount of time the system will remain active before turning off automatically.
Last but not least, the update will introduce improved save management that allows users to choose multiple saved data items at the same time, allowing multiple selections to be deleted or copied as a group.
For a full rundown of the firmware:
– When the wireless stereo headset (CECHYA-0080) is connected, you can now adjust the sidetone level for microphone audio. Select [Sidetone] under (Settings) > (Accessory Settings) > [Audio Device Settings].
– Off: Disable microphone audio from the headset
– 1-5: Enable microphone audio from the headset
– You can now set the amount of time until the system automatically turns off. Under (Settings) > (Power Save Settings) > [System Auto-Off] you will be able amend the time for [Video/TV/Music/Photo] and for [Game/Other Features]:
Video/TV/Music/Photo – After 1 Hour, After 2 Hours, After 3 Hours, After 4 Hours, After 5 Hours, Off
Game/Other Features – After 1 Hour, After 2 Hours, After 3 Hours, After 4 Hours, After 5 Hours, Off
– If you enabled [System Auto-Off] in system software prior to version 4.20, the selected time will be set for both [Video/TV/Music/Photo] and [Game/Other Features].
– The default settings are [After 4 Hours] for [Video/TV/Music/Photo] and [After 1 Hour] for [Game/Other Features].
– Under (Games) > (Saved Data Utility (PS3™), you can now select multiple saved data items, and then either delete or copy them as a group.
– You cannot use [Copy Multiple] to select data that is copy-protected.
– Some saved data cannot be copied.
– The upper right corner of the screen displays:
===== the number of saved data items that are selected
===== the total number of saved data items
===== the total file size of the saved data items that are selected